VSS import problems

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

BSomerville

VSS import problems

Post by BSomerville » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:03 am

I've so far been unsuccessful getting any response to this via e-mail, so hopefully posting this in the public forum for all to see will generate some kind of action.

I'm trying to import a large VSS database, and have been so far unsuccessful. In my latest attempt, importing into a clean (new) sgvault database, the process ran for 3 days, and produced essentially garbage: lots of missing items (maybe 50%), missing shares and pins, etc.

The import log, as usual, shows lots of exceptions being thrown, such as:

Now: 11/26/2002 5:22:46 PM
Created textoptions.cpp ($/8.73/CONSOLE/SNAPNAI/textoptions.cpp) at 11/26/2002 5:22:46 PM(Links: $/Current/CONSOLE/SNAPNAI/textoptions.cpp $/9.0/CONSOLE/SNAPNAI/textoptions.cpp )
Change set type: AddFile
Getting file from VSS database: $/8.73/CONSOLE/SNAPNAI/textoptions.cpp Version 1

Disk file: C:\Documents and Settings\bsomerville\Local Settings\Temp\1\tmp4988.tmp
Adding to transaction: $/8.73/CONSOLE/SNAPNAI/textoptions.cpp - C:\Documents and Settings\bsomerville\Local Settings\Temp\1\tmp4988.tmp
Preparing data to begin transaction
Beginning transaction
Add $/8.73/CONSOLE/SNAPNAI/textoptions.cpp
Ending the transaction
An error occurred while trying to end a transaction.
An exception was encountered during the transaction. Exception: VaultServiceAPILib.VaultSoapException: 1 : Failure
at VaultService.VaultService.EndTx(String strTxID, Int32 nTxAction, VaultDateTime& dtTxBegin, Int64& nNewRevision, VaultResponseItem[]& responses) at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
at VaultClientNetLib.ClientService.VaultService.EndTx(String strTxID, Int32 nTxAction, VaultDateTime& dtTxBegin, Int64& nNewRevision, VaultResponseItem[]& responses) in c:\dev\vault\3.5\src\VaultClientNetLib\GEN_ClientService.cs:line 369
at VaultClientNetLib.VaultConnection.EndTx(String strTxID, Int64& nNewRevision, VaultResponseItem[]& responses, Int32 nAction, VaultDateTime& txBeginDate) in c:\dev\vault\3.5\src\VaultClientNetLib\VaultConnection.cs:line 1999
at VaultClientOperationsLib.ClientInstance.Commit(ChangeSetItemColl givenItems, String strChangeSetComment, Boolean keepCheckedOut, Boolean removeLocalCopy, CommitType committype, VaultDateTime dateImport, Int32 nUserIDImport, Int64& nRevID, Int32[]& retBegEndTx) in c:\dev\vault\3.5\src\VaultClientOperationsLib\ClientInstance.cs:line 1805
Transaction failed
UpdateKnownChanges_RefreshKnown took 0 milliseconds.
Transaction failed
**Failed** - Error trying to commit. Exception of type 'System.Exception' was thrown.
Trace: at VSSImport.WizardForm.ProcessTransaction(String strProgressText, VaultDateTime dtg, Int32 userID) in c:\dev\vault\3.5\src\VSSImport3\WizardForm.cs:line 3548
5/30/2007 4:22:21 AM - Unable to commit for 11/26/2002 5:22:46 PM - $/8.73/CONSOLE/SNAPNAI/textoptions.cpp - Created textoptions.cpp.
Refreshing SourceSafe connection...
Opening: D:\PhaseII\HomerVSSNew\srcsafe.ini
User: admin
VSS database open: True

So far, the import tool is a worthless POS, rendering Vault, which looks to be a fine product otherwise, unusable.

You can continue to ignore my pleas for help, which will probably result in me having to return Vault for a refund, after wasting huge amounts of my time on this, or contact me via e-mail and try to get to the bottom of these problems.

I, and my company, are at the end of our ropes.
-- Bill

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:48 am

The last email to Support we have from you was on May 17, and that was a general question about the import. Sorry if we've seemed unresponsive, but this is the first we've heard about this specific problem.

The Vault Import Tool works, but it is limited by the capability of the VSS automation component. The Import Tool communicates with the VSS database via the automation component, which is not very tolerant of any VSS database corruption.

The first thing to determine is if any of the errors are related to Vault specifically, and not to the database.

If are there errors in the Vault Server log that correspond to the import failures?

We'd like to see a copy of the log. If it's more than a few MB, it may be too large for our Help system, so you could upload it to our FTP site. I'll email you the link. Then email support at sourcegear.com to let us know the name of the file.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

BSomerville

Post by BSomerville » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:59 am

Linda:
Thanks for the reply. I sent requests to support via e-mail on 5/24 and 5/27 with no reply from either request. I even copied Eric Mork on my 5/27 e-mail, I was getting so desperate at that point (now I'm beyond desperate).

I've attached a ZIP containing a sanitized, partial copy of sgvault.log (the whole log is 6GB). It includes the time period covered by the error above.

I don't know if you prefer dealing with this in the forum, or via e-mail. E-mail is probably easier for me, but since I wasn't getting any responses from e-mails, I had no choice but to post here. Let me know if you want to continue this discussion via e-mail.

Thanks.
Attachments
sgvault.zip
ZIPped sgvault.log extract
(347.92 KiB) Downloaded 415 times
-- Bill

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:41 pm

Sorry, we have no record of those emails in our help system, even in the spam. If you were trying to send large attachments, it's possible your email server blocked them.

Unfortunately the log file has a great many "critical" errors, which indicate there could be a serious problem with the database. Here's a KB article which outlines first steps:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=7116
If an IIS reset does not help, we will need to investigate further.

Are you importing into an existing repository? Did you have a number of failed imports into this particular database?

It would be best to continue this support issue via email. E-mail support at SourceGear.Com and cc: Linda at SourceGear.Com. (E-mail addresses modified in this post to prevent bots from collecting actual e-mail addresses.)
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager