visual studio 2005 crashing

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

sirkirby

visual studio 2005 crashing

Post by sirkirby » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:09 pm

These are the steps I'm taking to open up a solution under source control, formerly with vault 3.5.x, not with Fortress 1.0 client installed.

1. open the solution
2. select "permanently remove source control binding" due to the vault plug in no longer being present.
3. right click on the solution and select "Bind", and then login and navigate to to the sln file in source.
4. The solution is now bound with all of the project contain within it checked out, due to the new binding.
5. I attempt to right click on the checked out project file or solution and visual studio crashes with the following message: "Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 has stopped working"...a problem cause the program to stop working correctly.

I'm at a loss as to what to do. I've tried activating the log in devenv.exe.config but i can't find one in my %temp% directory (which on vista is the profile/AppData/Local/Temp.

I'm running VS 2005 SP1 (w vista update) on Vista 32 bit w Fortress for vs 2005 selected as my default source control plugin.

Please help!

sirkirby

Post by sirkirby » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:13 pm

Unfortunately for me, the new Fortress client for visual studio 2005 appears to be unusable at this point, since i must use the context menu to preform any action on a project or solution file.

Is there anything that i can try or send you to get this working? I really don't want to go through the hassle of reverting back to Vault 3.5.

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:29 pm

Logging would be a good start. You will need to edit the devenv.exe.config in the Microsoft Visual Studio directory in order to turn on logging.

Unfortunately, I don't have any solid clues for you, as we've never seen anything like this happen. What project types are you working with. Are all projects located under the solution directory? After binding, can you save all and quit Visual Studio 2005?

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:45 pm

It may also be helpful to see what one of the project files looks like after you tried to unbind/re-bind it in Fortress. The project file may have gotten into a weird state since when unbinding from the "old" client and the bindings may not have gotten cleaned up properly.

So if you could email me the text version of one of the the .csproj files that is giving you trouble, that may help.

You can use the email button at the bottom of this message to email me directly.
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear

sirkirby

Post by sirkirby » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:51 pm

jeremy_sg wrote:Logging would be a good start. You will need to edit the devenv.exe.config in the Microsoft Visual Studio directory in order to turn on logging.

Unfortunately, I don't have any solid clues for you, as we've never seen anything like this happen. What project types are you working with. Are all projects located under the solution directory? After binding, can you save all and quit Visual Studio 2005?
I've just sent you the log via email. Its around 900k in size, i hope that will not be an issue.

I am working with c# websites (not web projects), c# console , and c# mobile application projects. There is also a deployment project in the solutions as well.

I've sent both the solution text file and one project xml file to mskrobul via email.

sirkirby

Post by sirkirby » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:55 pm

mskrobul wrote:It may also be helpful to see what one of the project files looks like after you tried to unbind/re-bind it in Fortress. The project file may have gotten into a weird state since when unbinding from the "old" client and the bindings may not have gotten cleaned up properly.
How can i unbind the project or solution without using the context menu? The "Change source control" menu seems to no longer be available under the file menu, as it was under vault 3.5.x

sirkirby

Post by sirkirby » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:04 pm

also, i should add that visual studio does not crash when right clicking on a website within a solution...just projects or the actual solution.

Thanks,

Chris