Visual Studio creating temporary file - becoming a nuisance

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

sswanson

Visual Studio creating temporary file - becoming a nuisance

Post by sswanson » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:30 am

We're using Microsoft Visual Studio as and Vault in tandem, and I have to say that they are working out really well together, except for one little detail. VS has become obsessed with creating a temporary file, checking it into the repository and then deleting it putting the comment on it:

Temporary file created by Microsoft Visual Studio to detect SourceGear Vault Client capabilities.

Normally, this wouldn't be a problem, but we're also using Cruise Control, which reports a list of repository changes, so the actual content of what we're doing in the repository can become lost in the shuffle of temporary files.

Does anyone know if there's anyway that I can stop Visual Studio from posting the temporary file, or if there's a way ot stop Vault from logging them? I'd prefer to get them to stop, but if I can't I'll understand.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:28 am

What versions of Vault and Visual Studio are you using?

Is this with all projects or certain types of projects?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

sswanson

Post by sswanson » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:57 pm

We are using Vault 3.5.1 and Visual Studio 2005.

As near as I can tell its happening with all the projects that we are using Visual Studio for development.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:58 pm

I think what you are seeing are the temporary files that Visual Studio creates when setting binding information. This usually happens during a bind and unbind operation or during an open from source control operation.

This is totally controlled by Visual Studio, and there's nothing we can do from the Vault side of things.

If you are seeing a lot of these, it's possible that you are continually opening a solution from source control, rather than just opening the solution normally once it has been bound to source control. Once you do an open from source control, you don't have to do it again for that particular solution or project. You can just open it normally from the solution file on your hard drive.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager