Moving SOS to a new server / replacing server

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

johnny5

Moving SOS to a new server / replacing server

Post by johnny5 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:34 pm

I am rebuilding my server and have SOS Classic 3.5.3 running. I have SSL keys all set up and over 4 GB of data in the database. I want to know how best to transfer all the settings and SSL info and users and everything to the new server installation. Do I need to swing the installation onto a temporary server, or can I backup everything somehow so that when I install the product on the new server it can be restored as new?

Thanks for any assistance.

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:20 pm

The keys used with SOS related to encrypted ports. Those are tied to the server they were created with. You will need to create new keys and have the clients import them.

For migrating your VSS database, you will just follow the Microsoft standards on that. You should be able to copy everything from the highest level folder and place it on a server that has VSS installed. Then using your VSS administration tool, you can open that VSS database and check your users and settings. You can also just perform an archive of your previous VSS database and restore it to the new VSS server.

The steps you will want to use:
  • 1) Install VSS to new server.
    2) Move or archive and restore the VSS database to the new VSS server.
    3) Install SOS server.
    4) In SOS server manager, enter the license key, the VSS database or databases it will use, and if using the secure port, set up the keys for that functionality and have the users import the new keys. You may wish to check connectivity first on the unsecure port just to make sure that is working before moving to the secure port.
I had posted a few helpful links in this thread on this: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?p=33012