SOS Get Latest Speed

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

maneeshs

SOS Get Latest Speed

Post by maneeshs » Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:30 am

Hi,

I am a senior network engineer and we do some get latest transfers over a VPN. We have a E1 (2Mbps) link to the internet. The entire getlatest transfers some 50-60 Mb of data in one time (Upload + Download). However the time takes for GetLatest to complete is 90 minutes. This is more than a typical download from the internet. Access rates at both the central site and remote location is adequate. Can some advise on why it is so slow? One reason I am quite sure is because of the size of the files getting transferred. Since the file sizes are small, the bandwidth utilization never peaks and because of multiple requests (for multiple files) takes more time.

Is there any configuration parameter for maximum number of files that can be transferred between the client and server? For example can I specify if 20 simultaneous file transfers should be concurrently on between the SOS Server and client?

Secondly I feel there should be a way to zip the files (one zip file for each way transfer). This way bandwidth utilization is optimal and transfer times reduced. This should be optional parameter on the client and server end. For example on slow dialup connections one could still choose to synchronise in small files.

Would appreciate a reply on this.

Thanks and Regards

Maneesh

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:08 am

SOS has no configuration parameter for maximum number of files that can be transferred between the client and server.

Large files and large "gets" of files take time in SOS. We say that SOS is fast over the Internet, but this is in comparison with VSS, rather than a typical file transfer. The SOS Client communicates with the SOS Server which in turn must communicate with the VSS database through the SourceSafe automation component.

There are some things that can cause further slowdowns for SOS. One is real-time anti-virus that scans every read-write on the SOS Server machine.

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=41

Also, minor database corruption in VSS can cause problems for the SOS Server, even though the VSS client sees no problems. Running Analyze regularly on the database can help.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager