Branching

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Zon

Branching

Post by Zon » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:08 am

We are getting to the point in our project where we need to start branching the code. But I have never used these features of source control and the company I work for don't use it currently. But they want to have a standard practise for it

So since this will be a new thing I want to do things the best way from the start so I was wondering if people could give some ideas or pros/cons of doing it different ways. I did have a look around on here but couldn't find any information.

What I was presuming would be done is we would have a CurrentDevelopment branch and when a version is signed off we branch into a folder with that version number. Then if we need to fix something in a older version we get that version make the fix, test and release that code, then we would merge this folder back into the CurrentDevelopment branch.

As I said any ideas welcome as I want to get this right and make it easy enough for all developers in the company as they will have to follow the same practise as well

GregM

Post by GregM » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:26 am

That's pretty much what we do. We do try to do fixes in the trunk first, and then merge them to the branch, as when we do it the other way around, it's too easy to forget to merge back to the trunk, and so the fix gets "lost".