Web Projects and Vault?

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

paulirwin

Web Projects and Vault?

Post by paulirwin » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:37 pm

I'm using the VS2003 compatible client with VS 2008 Beta 2 and we have Gold Support, so i guess i could call, but i figured i'd post here first. The problem i'm experiencing is the same in VS2005.

With web projects, the .config exclusion isn't working. It still wants to check in the file. How do i exclude this from source control? Also, on localhost, it's trying to check in the entire aspnet_client folder, which has a bunch of junk files for Crystal Reports to function, but that we don't want to be checked into vault. How do i exclude a folder? Again, the exclusions in the vault admin webpage tool aren't working.

Also, how do i enable non-exclusive checkout in the 2003 client for web projects?

Edit: We're using Vault 4.0.5 client/server.

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:25 pm

We are not yet supporting VS 2008 beta. I will give some information based on VS 2005, but it may be different for VS 2008.

The exclude in the Vault admin tool doesn't override a direct command to add something. Visual studio is making a direct call to do that check in. You should be able to de-select it in the pending check-ins.

On the non-exclusive checkouts, you need to make sure the file extensions are listed in the mergeable file types in the repository options in the Admin web page. You just won't want to list .proj or .sln files. They shouldn't be merged.

GrillerGeek

Exclude List From Admin

Post by GrillerGeek » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:17 pm

Are there plans to use the exclude list from the admin in VS2005?

We are thinking of purchasing this product, but if we have to manually deselect add for excluded folders each time we commit we will have to look elsewhere. We have some foolders that have thousands of resource and indexing files that we so not want in source control.

Thanks.

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:14 pm

Are those bin folders or types of folders that are commonly not added? If so, then the VSIP client (VS 2005 client) I think currently would not include those.

I need to do a little more digging on the MCSCCI, but you might want to take a look at VSIP.

GrillerGeek

Post by GrillerGeek » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:51 am

Beth wrote:Are those bin folders or types of folders that are commonly not added? If so, then the VSIP client (VS 2005 client) I think currently would not include those.

I need to do a little more digging on the MCSCCI, but you might want to take a look at VSIP.
We are using a third-party content management system that has a few folders that are part of a "base install" and we do not touch. Folders like: workarea and assets. We also have a few folders for uploaded images and files. We do not want any of these in source control and then are very large so manually scrolling through the pending check-ins to remove them and not miss something that is legit is very tedious. The GUI client ignores them as it appears to respect the exclude list in the admin, but the MSSCCI does not.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:05 am

For clarity's sake, can everyone post back their project types?

Visual Studio "Web Site" or "Web Project"? If you're using a "web site" style project, is there anything preventing you from using a "Web Project"? What is happening is a "Web Site" has no project file defining what files are within the Project.

A Web Project has a file which contains a manifest of what files make up the project. Visual Studio should not try to add files outside of this manifest to source control. This would also include items created as by products from third party solutions.

For Web Sites, Visual Studio 2005/2008 adds ALL files /folders found in the web site's directory to source control. We are currently investigating ways to stop Visual Studio from doing this, but at this point, Visual Studio is in the driver's seat.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

GrillerGeek

Post by GrillerGeek » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:33 am

We are using a Web Site not a Web Application Project. Our CMS creates the base site as a Web Site and if I convert it to a project the CMS will break on upgrades.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:01 pm

If you don't want parts of the CMS stuff placed in source control, how do you manage deployed web sites.

For instance, if an update to the CM system changes HTML or something in the web site, and the web site later breaks, how do you manage tracking changes if the files were not under source control?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

SelArom

Re: Web Projects and Vault?

Post by SelArom » Wed May 06, 2009 12:54 pm

what is the status of this issue? We have a web SITE, and up until now we've just been mirroring our dev box with the live box, meaning that we have thousands of user documents like pds, excel sheets, word docs, etc that I would like to be able to preserve, but it is not necessary that these be under source control. Is there still no way for a web SITE to exclude files from source control?

many thanks!

lbauer

Re: Web Projects and Vault?

Post by lbauer » Mon May 11, 2009 1:59 pm

We have a feature request logged for this, but currently the behavior is still dictated by Visual Studio.

Item: 12874
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager