VSS Import fails with FailObjPathInvalid

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

dist0rti0n

VSS Import fails with FailObjPathInvalid

Post by dist0rti0n » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:02 am

We're about to begin our transition to Fortress which will involve importing several fairly large VSS databases. Before attempting this I decided to setup a dry run with a one-off VSS database that included one solution comprised of a web application project and a class library.

The import always fails. The folder structure is created but none of the files are added to the respository.

I've pasted the error from the import tool below. At this point I'm not sure I should trust the importer to do its job when it comes time to kick everyone out and start migrating the VSS databases.

Is there a work-around or solution for this?

TIA

Here's the error from the Import tool:

Code: Select all

Item $/TestSolution/Build 1.0.0/TestSolution/TestSolution.Core caused the transaction to fail: The object could not be found.  It may have been deleted, moved or renamed.
Transaction failed
Item $/TestSolution/Build 1.0.0/TestSolution/TestSolution.Core caused the transaction to fail: The object could not be found.  It may have been deleted, moved or renamed.
Transaction failed
Item $/TestSolution/Build 1.0.0/TestSolution/TestSolution.Core/Properties caused the transaction to fail: The object could not be found.  It may have been deleted, moved or renamed.
Transaction failed
Item $/TestSolution/Build 1.0.0/TestSolution/TestSolution.Core/Properties caused the transaction to fail: The object could not be found.  It may have been deleted, moved or renamed.
Transaction failed
Item $/TestSolution/Build 1.0.0/TestSolution/TestSolution.Web.UI caused the transaction to fail: The object could not be found.  It may have been deleted, moved or renamed.
Transaction failed
Item $/TestSolution/Build 1.0.0/TestSolution/TestSolution.Web.UI caused the transaction to fail: The object could not be found.  It may have been deleted, moved or renamed.
Transaction failed
Item $/TestSolution/Build 1.0.0/TestSolution/TestSolution.Web.UI/Properties caused the transaction to fail: The object could not be found.  It may have been deleted, moved or renamed.
Transaction failed
Item $/TestSolution/Build 1.0.0/TestSolution/TestSolution.Web.UI/Properties caused the transaction to fail: The object could not be found.  It may have been deleted, moved or renamed.
Transaction failed
Item $/TestSolution/Build 1.0.0/TestSolution/TestSolution.Core/Class1.cs caused the transaction to fail: The object could not be found.  It may have been deleted, moved or renamed.
Transaction failed
Item $/TestSolution/Build 1.0.0/TestSolution/TestSolution.Core/Class1.cs caused the transaction to fail: The object could not be found.  It may have been deleted, moved or renamed.
Transaction failed
Transaction failed
Transaction failed
Transaction failed
Transaction failed
Transaction failed
Transaction failed
Item $/TestSolution/Build 1.0.0/TestSolution/TestSolution.Core/Properties/AssemblyInfo.cs caused the transaction to fail: The object could not be found.  It may have been deleted, moved or renamed.
Transaction failed
Item $/TestSolution/Build 1.0.0/TestSolution/TestSolution.Core/Properties/AssemblyInfo.cs caused the transaction to fail: The object could not be found.  It may have been deleted, moved or renamed.
Transaction failed
Item $/TestSolution/Build 1.0.0/TestSolution/TestSolution.Core/TestSolution.Core.csproj caused the transaction to fail: The object could not be found.  It may have been deleted, moved or renamed.
Transaction failed
Item $/TestSolution/Build 1.0.0/TestSolution/TestSolution.Core/TestSolution.Core.csproj caused the transaction to fail: The object could not be found.  It may have been deleted, moved or renamed.
Transaction failed
Item $/TestSolution/Build 1.0.0/TestSolution/TestSolution.Core/TestSolution.Core.csproj.vspscc caused the transaction to fail: The object could not be found.  It may have been deleted, moved or renamed.
Transaction failed
Item $/TestSolution/Build 1.0.0/TestSolution/TestSolution.Core/TestSolution.Core.csproj.vspscc caused the transaction to fail: The object could not be found.  It may have been deleted, moved or renamed.
Transaction failed
Item $/TestSolution/Build 1.0.0/TestSolution/TestSolution.sln caused the transaction to fail: The object could not be found.  It may have been deleted, moved or renamed.
Transaction failed
Item $/TestSolution/Build 1.0.0/TestSolution/TestSolution.sln caused the transaction to fail: The object could not be found.  It may have been deleted, moved or renamed.
Transaction failed
Transaction failed
Transaction failed
Item $/TestSolution/Build 1.0.0/TestSolution/TestSolution.vssscc caused the transaction to fail: The object could not be found.  It may have been deleted, moved or renamed.
Transaction failed
Item $/TestSolution/Build 1.0.0/TestSolution/TestSolution.vssscc caused the transaction to fail: The object could not be found.  It may have been deleted, moved or renamed.
Transaction failed
Item $/TestSolution/Build 1.0.0/TestSolution/TestSolution.Web.UI/Default.aspx caused the transaction to fail: The object could not be found.  It may have been deleted, moved or renamed.
Transaction failed
Item $/TestSolution/Build 1.0.0/TestSolution/TestSolution.Web.UI/Default.aspx caused the transaction to fail: The object could not be found.  It may have been deleted, moved or renamed.
Transaction failed
Item $/TestSolution/Build 1.0.0/TestSolution/TestSolution.Web.UI/Default.aspx.cs caused the transaction to fail: The object could not be found.  It may have been deleted, moved or renamed.
Transaction failed
Item $/TestSolution/Build 1.0.0/TestSolution/TestSolution.Web.UI/Default.aspx.cs caused the transaction to fail: The object could not be found.  It may have been deleted, moved or renamed.
Transaction failed
Item $/TestSolution/Build 1.0.0/TestSolution/TestSolution.Web.UI/Default.aspx.designer.cs caused the transaction to fail: The object could not be found.  It may have been deleted, moved or renamed.
Transaction failed
Item $/TestSolution/Build 1.0.0/TestSolution/TestSolution.Web.UI/Default.aspx.designer.cs caused the transaction to fail: The object could not be found.  It may have been deleted, moved or renamed.
Transaction failed
Item $/TestSolution/Build 1.0.0/TestSolution/TestSolution.Web.UI/Properties/AssemblyInfo.cs caused the transaction to fail: The object could not be found.  It may have been deleted, moved or renamed.
Transaction failed
Item $/TestSolution/Build 1.0.0/TestSolution/TestSolution.Web.UI/Properties/AssemblyInfo.cs caused the transaction to fail: The object could not be found.  It may have been deleted, moved or renamed.
Transaction failed
Item $/TestSolution/Build 1.0.0/TestSolution/TestSolution.Web.UI/TestSolution.Web.UI.csproj caused the transaction to fail: The object could not be found.  It may have been deleted, moved or renamed.
Transaction failed
Item $/TestSolution/Build 1.0.0/TestSolution/TestSolution.Web.UI/TestSolution.Web.UI.csproj caused the transaction to fail: The object could not be found.  It may have been deleted, moved or renamed.
Transaction failed
Item $/TestSolution/Build 1.0.0/TestSolution/TestSolution.Web.UI/TestSolution.Web.UI.csproj.vspscc caused the transaction to fail: The object could not be found.  It may have been deleted, moved or renamed.
Transaction failed
Item $/TestSolution/Build 1.0.0/TestSolution/TestSolution.Web.UI/TestSolution.Web.UI.csproj.vspscc caused the transaction to fail: The object could not be found.  It may have been deleted, moved or renamed.
Transaction failed
Item $/TestSolution/Build 1.0.0/TestSolution/TestSolution.Web.UI/Web.config caused the transaction to fail: The object could not be found.  It may have been deleted, moved or renamed.
Transaction failed
Item $/TestSolution/Build 1.0.0/TestSolution/TestSolution.Web.UI/Web.config caused the transaction to fail: The object could not be found.  It may have been deleted, moved or renamed.
Transaction failed
00:00:58.9412720
<a href="http://www.vertagen.com">Vertagen Solutions</a>

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:19 pm

What version of Vault are you using?

Also, have you followed the tips in this KB article?

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=7
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

dist0rti0n

Post by dist0rti0n » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:13 pm

I'm using 1.0.6.

I'll check out the KB and get back to you.

Thanks!

dist0rti0n

Post by dist0rti0n » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:40 pm

I ran through that KB and tweaked the machine.config and also ran analyze on my test VSS db to ensure it was cleaned up. Unfortunately, I'm still getting the same error as before.

Anything else you'd like me to try?

Thanks,

Zack

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:33 pm

What version of the SourceSafe automation component is the VSS Import Tool using?

NOTE: There may be more than one version of the ssapi.dll on the machine. To determine which is used by VSS Import Tool, look under this registry key on the Import Tool machine:

Code:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{783CD4E4-9D54-11CF-B8EE-00608CC9A71F}\InprocServer32

The value will have the path to the specific ssapi.dll file used by the Import Tool.

Once you've located the correct ssapi.dll file, the version information can be found on the from the file's context menu 'Properties' -> Version.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

WBeatty

Re: VSS Import fails with FailObjPathInvalid

Post by WBeatty » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:42 am

I am having this same issue but only with one particular SSIS package that is in VSS. I have tried everything, including getting the most recent version from VSS and recreating the working folders. I have also run the analysis process on the VSS database with no issues.

It still is telling me FailObjPathInvalid for every object in the SSIS package. All other SSIS packages are importing with no problem.

Thanks.

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:08 pm

Do you have any branch, move, share, or rename actions in the history of the SSIS packages?

What version of VSS are you using?

Also, I'll need the full version of the ssapi.dll as was mentioned earlier in this thread.
What version of the SourceSafe automation component is the VSS Import Tool using?

NOTE: There may be more than one version of the ssapi.dll on the machine. To determine which is used by VSS Import Tool, look under this registry key on the Import Tool machine:

Code:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{783CD4E4-9D54-11CF-B8EE-00608CC9A71F}\InprocServer32

The value will have the path to the specific ssapi.dll file used by the Import Tool.

Once you've located the correct ssapi.dll file, the version information can be found on the from the file's context menu 'Properties' -> Version.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

WBeatty

Post by WBeatty » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:16 am

Hi Beth,

I did find a key with that name in the registry {HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{783CD4E0-9D54-11CF-B8EE-00608CC9A71F} but nothing under CLSID. The folder under says 5.2.

VSS is 8.0.50727.42 as well as the version of ssapi.dll.

I ended up just adding that one package I was having problems with manually. Since it was only one package that was reporting the error, I didn't want to spend too much time on it - all the others imported fine.

I did run into another issue but I can start another thread or open a ticket. It has to do with the VSS import. Once I was done importing, all of my packages were still bound to VSS. It seems I have to change the source control in Visual Studio to VSS, open the package and unbind. Then go into VS, change the default source control to Vault, open the package, save it, and check it back in. Is this normal after a VSS import?

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:20 pm

You will want the VSS 2005 Update which fixes some issues and has had better success for our customers.

Visual Studio keeps track of the source control package to contact and which interface to use right inside files inside the project, so those do need to be changed. There are two VS clients in Vault; Vault Enhance Client and the Vault Classic Client. The Classic Client will look just like the VSS integration.

If you wish to use the Vault Enhanced client, you can use our auto rebind feature found in the Vault admin web page under each repository on the left.

In this KB article, http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic ... 331#p68331, are sections for each client for "Previously bound to a different provider" or the instructions for automated rebinding are there as well.

If you wish to just stay with the Vault Classic Client, you might also find this KB article useful: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=3953.
Beth Kieler

WBeatty

Post by WBeatty » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:39 pm

Thanks. I will look into the rebind article as well.

Bill

WBeatty

Post by WBeatty » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:02 am

When I try to rebind projects and solutions, I get a message:

Failed To Bind: PROJECT_NAME.dtproj. Unsupported project type. Please use the Vault Visual Studio Enhanced Client to bind this project.

Does Vault VS Enhanced support dtproj?

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:25 am

Did you have the project bound between VSS and VS?

Which version of SQL server is being used with that project?
Beth Kieler

WBeatty

Post by WBeatty » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:36 am

Yes it was bound between VS and VSS.

The SQL Server originally was 2008 R2 but is now 2012.

WBeatty

Post by WBeatty » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:37 am

Also, where do I get the Vault Enhanced Client? The one I downloaded seems to be the Standard Vault Client.

Thanks

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:03 pm

If you are binding inside of Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio then the Classic Client is the only option. The Enhanced is only an option inside of Visual Studio. I thought that was where your solution was.

Which version of Vault are you using?

Was the project that was in VSS to SQL 2012 updated before or after switching to Vault?
Beth Kieler