Server Rebuild

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

DaveWilli

Server Rebuild

Post by DaveWilli » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:24 am

We have to rebuild the server that Fortress is on.

Should I use the Fortress built-in backup? If I put the files in the SQL backup directory will the get recognized after the rebuild? Or should I do a backup from SQL, reinstall Fortress, then do a restore?

When I restore will the licenses be already setup, or will I have to reregister them.

Thanks,

Dave Williamson
Edibar System Inc.

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:34 am

It will not make a difference whether you use the Fortress backup or the SQL backup. The restore though will need to be done with SQL server I believe. I don't think a new install of Fortress will recognize the backup the previous install made. A Fortress backup just makes a SQL backup.

This is what I use for restoring:

Code: Select all

RESTORE DATABASE sgmaster
FROM DISK = 'X:\XXXXXXXX\sgmaster.bak'
WITH MOVE 'sgmaster' to 'X:\XXXXXXXXXX\sgmaster.mdf',
       MOVE 'sgmaster_log' to 'X:\XXXXXXXXX\sgmaster_log.ldf'  

RESTORE DATABASE sgvault
FROM DISK = 'X:\XXXXXXX\sgvault.bak'
WITH MOVE 'sgvault' to 'X:\XXXXXXXXXX\sgvault.mdf',
    MOVE 'sgvault_log' to 'X:\XXXXXXXXXX\sgvault_log.ldf'
The 'X' just is some path. I use the move so that I can choose where I want the database to be. Using this script in the Query Analyzer, it doesn't matter how the backup was done. Also, if you named the backup something other than sgmaster.bak or sgvault.bak, then you will want to enter the correct name in the 'FROM DISK' line.

Once those databases are restored, you can just install Fortress and it will automatically pick up those databases once you connect to the SQL server. In this case where you are starting with a fresh machine, you will get your best results by getting the database in place first and then installing Fortress.