Commit dialog in VS gets z-order confused

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

richtebb

Commit dialog in VS gets z-order confused

Post by richtebb » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:44 am

I've been having a problem with z-order in the Commit dialog in 4.0.5 and VS2005 (this occurs under both XP and Vista).

If you switch focus to another program (e.g. by clicking on a task bar icon) while the Commit dialog is open, when you click back on the VS icon in the task bar, the Commit dialog is not shown in the foreground, but it's still working modally because you can't interact with the VS window. Steps to repro:

1. Open a browser window.
2. Open a source-controlled solution in VS and edit some file.
3. In the Vault Pending Changes window, click Commit All (also goes wrong if you select individual files and click Commit Selected Operations)
4. Click on the browser icon in the task bar.
5. Click back on the VS icon.

The Commit dialog is not longer displayed in the foreground, but you can't interact with the VS window. I would expect the Commit dialog to be displayed in the foreground when I click on the VS icon in the task bar, because it is acting as a modal dialog.

To workaround, you need to minimize the browser window. In fact, if you've brought >1 application to the foreground, you need to minimize each application before the Commit dialog is visible.

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:26 am

Are you using the VS 2003 Compatible Client or the VS 2005 Client for the source control settings in the VS Tools - Options?

richtebb

Post by richtebb » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:40 pm

I knew there'd be some info I missed :)
I'm using the 2005 client.

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:46 pm

Rich,

This is a really annoying bug, sorry for the inconvenience. It's certainly driven me nuts.

The good news is we finally figured out the cause and a fix will be in the next release to leave the building: 4.1 beta 2. I can't say with any certainty at this point whether it will be back-ported to a future 4.0.x release, but 4.0.x to 4.1 is a free upgrade.
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

richtebb

Post by richtebb » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:10 am

Great news Ian. Yes, it's certainly a wierd bug, and it has been a little frustrating :). The first couple of times it happened, I hadn't figured out the workaround, and I had to kill VS.

But it's impressive that you got it fixed so quickly. I'm not worried about a back-port as I will be upgrading to 4.1 as soon as it goes gold.

Thanks for your efforts, greatly appreciated!

richtebb

Post by richtebb » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:13 am

Just a quick note - you probably picked this up already, but a similar problem happens with the "Edit Item Comment" dialog - for example, if you switch to the DiffMerge window to see what changes you made and then switch back to add the comment.

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:51 am

There were a number of affected dialogs. The fix applies to all of them. Thanks for the heads up. :)
Ian Olsen
SourceGear