Single User

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

orgbrat

Single User

Post by orgbrat » Sat May 23, 2009 7:50 am

Fortress was recommended to me by a friend. As he recommended Fortress he stated by the way I know you are a single developer so it should be free.

I have looked over your web site and found where it states exactly that. I can use Fortress as a single user.

Yes I am a single private consultant, but I have three computers that I use ( home, office and laptop ). So how does the free version of Fortress work
for that situation?

Thanks.....

Steve Graddy
Orgbrat Consulting

Beth

Re: Single User

Post by Beth » Tue May 26, 2009 8:46 am

You would have a central location for your Fortress server. Then make 1 user login. Install the Fortress client on all three of your machines, and then use your one login for each place you login to. The licensing is per user per server, not per computer client.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

orgbrat

Post by orgbrat » Tue May 26, 2009 9:18 am

Beth,
One more question, do I have the option of working offline, modifying code and syncing with the Fortress server later?

Steve Graddy

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue May 26, 2009 10:42 am

If you are using IDE integration, then you would need to place your project in an offline status. It will give you that option when you open your project but can't connect to the server.

If you are using the Vault GUI client, then it will depend a little on how you work. If you use CVS mode, then no checkouts are required and the files are always writable, so they will show up as edited the next time you connect. If you use VSS mode, then you will want to check out the files before you go, and then check them in when you next connect. These settings are found in Vault Tools - Options - Concurrent Development Style.
Beth Kieler

orgbrat

Post by orgbrat » Tue May 26, 2009 7:10 pm

Do I need to get a Demo License to run in single user mode?

Steve

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed May 27, 2009 7:56 am

No license needs to be entered for single-user mode.
Beth Kieler