How do I control version releases?

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
sonnys

How do I control version releases?

Post by sonnys » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:37 am

Hi there,

I'm a total Vault rookie and in need of some basic info. My group here is made up of 3 developers. Currently we have an application being built by an outside source. Our management would like our development team to now have access to the code and to start development our our end.

Now my question is: One developer takes some code to work with it and starts to work on a new large component of the application. This might take a number of days to code out. While he's not working on it he checks it back in. The second developer needs to checks out code to correct a bug that needs a fix right away. Now what happens when the second developer checks that code back in and needs to compile a release to hit users. Will the changes to code that the first developer also be released and combined into the new version for users? Or can I control what pieces of code actually gets released?

Thanks very much

SS

lbauer

Re: How do I control version releases?

Post by lbauer » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:30 pm

Any changes DeveloperA checks in will be the the "latest version" and the DeveloperB will get those changes when they checkout the files.

There are a couple of options:

1) Have DeveloperA use the Shelve function. If you're on Vault 5 or later, you can store your changeset (modified files) in the database without checking them in.

With Shelve, your changes are safely backed up; you can unshelve to a different machine (if you're working from home, for example), have another user unshelve the shelveset for code review, etc.

DeveloperA can test their code and when it's all working properly, check it in.

The Shelve command is on the top bar of the Pending Change Set in the Vault GUI Client and in Visual Studio, if you're integrating with Vault.

2) Use Branching and Merging

Use the Branch command to make a copy of the project in the repository tree. DeveloperA can work in the branch and check in changes. DeveloperB works in the trunk to make updates to the current code.
DeveloperA has finalized the changes in the branch, you can merge the changes from the branch to the trunk.

The Trunk will then have the changes from both DeveloperA and DeveloperB.

If you'd like more information or an online demo of how these features work, email me at support at sourcegear.com, ATTN: Linda.

Please include a link to this forum post.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

sonnys

Post by sonnys » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:56 am

Thank you very much. You just made my day much better.

Thank you
Sonny

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:20 pm

Glad I was able to help. :D
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager