Vault completely unusable in VB6

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

lemp

Vault completely unusable in VB6

Post by lemp » Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:37 pm

When using VB6 and the vault server logon dialog appears it is locked except for the buttons. It will not respond to the mouse at all I can tab between the buttons and that's it. To make it go away I have to press the ESC key.

lzandman

Post by lzandman » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:28 am

Mmm, I've used Vault with VB6 in the last weeks and it worked perfectly. I think you should give some more details (product version numbers etc.)
What's the Speed of Dark?

lemp

VB6 SP6

Post by lemp » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:41 pm

VB6 SP6

dactyl

Post by dactyl » Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:02 pm

I'm seeing this same behavior in VB6 SP5 and SP6. If the Vault login window "happens" to get focus, all I can do is tab between controls and I can't type anything anywhere. The mouse is useless on the dialog, clicking buttons or fields doesn't seem to do anything.

It feels like there is a conflict betwen modal states or something.

It's a real pain too because if I have a VB6 project associated with Vault, about 1/2 the time I try to open it I have to kill VB through TaskManager and open it again because there isn't anyway to close the dialog box!

Any suggestions?

dactyl

Post by dactyl » Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:03 pm

Oh right, and I'm using 3.0.2 and 3.0.1 clients. This problem seems to be new in the 3.x release, because I used to do it all the time in 2.x without any problems.

dan

Post by dan » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:12 am

Does this happen every time you invoke VB on a source controlled project, or are there times when it works?

I would recommend either:

1. Upgrade to 3.0.2 clients. It contains a fix for an IDE problem related to loading a project. It doesn't sound like the same symptoms you are describing, but we could get lucky.

2. If the problem is related to the dialog itself, you might try specifying a profile the next time it comes up, so that it will login automatically and not bring up the login dialog. You may need to set this manually in VB - see http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=2474 for details on how to do it.

dactyl

Post by dactyl » Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:00 pm

Interesting enough, when I uninstalled the Visual Studio 2005 Beta, the program went away.

It works just fine now, although I don't have 2005 anymore...

dan

Post by dan » Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:16 am

I'm guessing that VB6 was trying to load the 2.0 framework that comes with VS2005, which might explain some of the problems.

Same Problem

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:25 am

I have the same problem with login in VB6 but I haven't installed framework 2 nor have I installed DevStudio 2005. My development machine is however running Server 2003.

dan

Post by dan » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:14 pm

Is this a brand new machine or project, or has it previously worked, but now does not?

If it has been setup before, you can try to specify a profile (which will cause it not require the login dialog). See http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=2474

You may need to create a profile using the GUI client, that connects to the server and repository where your project is, and then specify the name of that profile in the MSSCCPRJ.SCC file.

cruest

Post by cruest » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:33 am

dan wrote:Is this a brand new machine or project, or has it previously worked, but now does not?

If it has been setup before, you can try to specify a profile (which will cause it not require the login dialog). See http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=2474

You may need to create a profile using the GUI client, that connects to the server and repository where your project is, and then specify the name of that profile in the MSSCCPRJ.SCC file.
It's all brand new. We just bought your products and got the server up and running. I'm a little concerned though. This isn't much of a fix, and your product is supposed to interface with VB6.

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:59 am

I'm experiencing the same problem. The Vault Client works fine, as does integration with VS.NET 2003. However, in VB6, the login dialog appears but cannot receive focus correctly. I can tab between buttons, and when I type the input is intercepted by the Username textbox, but I cannot tab to any other textbox and the form is completely unresponsive to the mouse. Hitting the ESC key does cancel the dialog.

This behavior occurs regardless of what I am trying to do with Vault. Anything that causes the login dialog to appear causes this scenario.

Interestingly, this has worked just fine until recently. We moved this server from inside the company to a co-location. It is still on the domain via dedicated VPN. The client integration continues to work fine from workstations.

I am using Vault 3.0.7 on Windows 2003 SP1 using Network Service credentials against SQL Server 2000 SP3.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:00 pm

We haven't been able to reproduce this here. As users in this thread have pointed out -- it works on some machines and not others.

We'd really like to pin this down. What's different about the machines where VB 6 integration works and machines where it doesn't. Perhaps we could reproduce the environment where it doesn't work.

We'd need info about the client machine: OS and service pack, .NET framework version(s), VB 6 service pack, Vault version, etc.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:09 am

lbauer wrote:We haven't been able to reproduce this here. As users in this thread have pointed out -- it works on some machines and not others.

We'd really like to pin this down. What's different about the machines where VB 6 integration works and machines where it doesn't. Perhaps we could reproduce the environment where it doesn't work.

We'd need info about the client machine: OS and service pack, .NET framework version(s), VB 6 service pack, Vault version, etc.
.NET: 1.1
VB6: SP6
Vault: 3.1 RTM

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:44 pm

Thanks for the info. We did reproduce this on Windows 2003 Server. We're investigating further.

I was able to use the tab key to tab to the Vault Connect to Server dialog text boxes, type in them and also use the tab button to bring the OK button into focus. Hitting "Return" allowed me to log in from VB 6.

Can you do the same?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager