"Connect to server" dialog preventing any automati

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

alexis_michel

Post by alexis_michel » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:10 pm

Nant looks good, but my project is a C++/MFC project, I thought Nant was a .NET build tool only ?

TonyKInTexas

Post by TonyKInTexas » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:03 pm

You are probably right.

Can't you create batch files to launch the C++ compiler?
alexis_michel wrote:Nant looks good, but my project is a C++/MFC project, I thought Nant was a .NET build tool only ?

alexis_michel

Post by alexis_michel » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:39 pm

If it would just be the compiler, things would be easy.
There are many different solutions, pre and post build steps to complete, deployment project, web deployment etc.
Visual studio would do it all for us, provided we get it to open the solution without asking too many questions.

TonyKInTexas

Post by TonyKInTexas » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:47 pm

How about disconnecting Visual Studio from SOS/VSS?
alexis_michel wrote:If it would just be the compiler, things would be easy.
There are many different solutions, pre and post build steps to complete, deployment project, web deployment etc.
Visual studio would do it all for us, provided we get it to open the solution without asking too many questions.

alexis_michel

Post by alexis_michel » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:46 am

You then loose every good aspect about a source control system (ie in an automated build, you might want to check out a file, increment version number, check in etc ..).

Sorry about the delay to respond, but I was dragged onto more urgent things.
After last time's failure to get anything done, some more time has been allocated for me to look at this again.

I thought initially that the project "structure" was to blame, so I deleted the whole project from source control, recreated it "clean" with Visual Studio, added it to source control from Visual studio. It is now a bog standard project, with one solution, and 3 sub projects.
I am still not getting anywhere. Even after recreating the MSSCCPRJ.SCC file when I try to open the solution with Visual Studio, I get a big dialog asking me which server to connect to (it should already know that from the MSSCCPRJ.SCC file) and then what username/password to use and which database (where does it cache this info ?).

If you still want screenshots about how my solution is configured in SOS and Visual studio I can provide that, but it is going to look fairly simple, with both looking exactly similar (one directory for the solution, 3 sub directories for the projects).

Note, I "pull" the latest version in a clean, new directory everytime (I am not reusing one existing one) so I suppose somehow there is some information missing, I thought the MSSCCPRJ.SCC file was the only thing but visibly not.

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:58 am

If your solution is no longer complex and set up as a normal solution would be, then I no longer need to view it.

Have you had a chance to test one of my earlier suggestions?

"My suggestion is to either make your automated build not delete the MSSCCPRJ.SCC file or make a backup copy of the file and retrieve it once everything has been deleted."

Please let me know the outcome.

Thanks.

Tonya Nunn
SourceGear Support

alexis_michel

Post by alexis_michel » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:05 am

I have just noticed that when opening a solution from source control from within Visual Studio, a .suo file was created (and no MSSCCPRJ.SCC file) and that information seems to be saved in that file, because you can open the solution fine many times, but if you delete the .suo file it then asks you for the server etc !
That suo file seems to be cryptic, in binary format.

Can I have at least some kind of info as to whether this is even possible at all to do what I want to do (pull the latest version in a clean empty directory, do whatever is necessary to recreate the binding info, open it with visual studio without seeing any messages and then build) ? Because I wouldn't want to spend 3 days on it just to discover it is absolutely impossible.

alexis_michel

Post by alexis_michel » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:07 am

As in my previous post, I am no longer getting a MSSCCPRJ.SCC file in the solution, so I can't really "save it" in order to reuse it. I also fear the .suo sounds terribly like something user-dependant and will not copy very well across.
Is there a switch somewhere to have things use the MSSCCPRJ.SCC file instead of the .suo ?

TonyKInTexas

Post by TonyKInTexas » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:22 am

Hi,

The .suo file is created by Visual Studio. Not sure if it is user centric or not.

I revert to my original remark about Nant. You can right a CMD file that would check the file out, increment the version number and after the build is completed, check the file back in.

At our office, we shy away from using Visual Studio GUI for builds, save for development work. Most everything that we push out to test environments and to production is handled through automated processes.

Some of what you are seeing could be the SOS client interaction and not have anything to do with VSS. I notice that SOS always asks me for a user name, VSS instance and a password before I can do anything. SOS is not my default for version control so my interaction is only through the SOS client GUI.

Is the VSS instance you are running against located in a remote office? The question is to determine if maybe we should connect Visual Studio directly to VSS and bypass SOS for the build system.

Take care,

alexis_michel

Post by alexis_michel » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:35 am

The VSS server is in our office, but we have this scheme whereby we work 2 days a week from home (in that case we connect via VPN and we have to use SOS).
I would love to shy away from Visual Studio GUI, but for the time being it seems to be the only way to build things ( I still think Nant is only for .NET builds, and will not handle MFC/C++ projects).
We will definitely look at MSbuild as soon as it is released.

I guess using a mixture of VSS and SOS is not an ideal thing, so as soon as VSS 2005 will be released we probably will compare Vault and VSS2005 and see which one to go for (I will make sure that whichever has best automation capabilities gets a good push).

You wrote "I notice that SOS always asks me for a user name, VSS instance and a password before I can do anything."
Well this is exactly my point, I am asking here if there is any way at all to do without those messages. If it is not possible, then I will try another way (or leave it be until we change SCC Provider) but right now it sort of looked feasable, so that's why I am giving it a try.

Thanks for your imput.

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:40 am

That's right. I forgot you are not a .Net environment. I remember recommending using the command line tools to compile and build. A small console application could be written that would taken X file, increment the version number (as long as all version files of X type are in the same format) and we could then create a CMD solution for you.

This could be scheduled to run on a regular basis without human intervention.

I think we got misdirected by focusing on the "build" aspect and not on the SOS dialog issue. My apologies for contribuing to the "churn". Unfortunately I am unaware of how to bypass the SOS login screen. Only someone with more SOS knowledge than I have could probably answer your question.

Take care,
alexis_michel wrote:The VSS server is in our office, but we have this scheme whereby we work 2 days a week from home (in that case we connect via VPN and we have to use SOS).

I would love to shy away from Visual Studio GUI, but for the time being it seems to be the only way to build things ( I still think Nant is only for .NET builds, and will not handle MFC/C++ projects).

We will definitely look at MSbuild as soon as it is released.

I guess using a mixture of VSS and SOS is not an ideal thing, so as soon as VSS 2005 will be released we probably will compare Vault and VSS2005 and see which one to go for (I will make sure that whichever has best automation capabilities gets a good push).

You wrote "I notice that SOS always asks me for a user name, VSS instance and a password before I can do anything."

Well this is exactly my point, I am asking here if there is any way at all to do without those messages. If it is not possible, then I will try another way (or leave it be until we change SCC Provider) but right now it sort of looked feasable, so that's why I am giving it a try.

Thanks for your imput.

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:46 am

How are you attempting to open the project from within VS.Net? The MSSCCPRJ file should always be created when adding or opening a project from scc.

What you are attempt to do should work as long as the MSSCCPRJ file is somehow saved. But right now it sounds like because the MSSCCPRJ file isn't being created, this problem needs to be resolved first.

Tonya

alexis_michel

Post by alexis_michel » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:14 am

It is quite straight forward,
Open Visual studio
File->Source Control->Open from Source Control
Then I provide the server and port (the now infamous dialog box) and user name and password, and then it opens up the whole solution.
But there is no MSSCCPRJ file anymore.

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:37 pm

Is it possible that the MSSCCPRJ file is located in a different subdirectory?

Whenever I add or open a solution from source code control the MSSCCPRJ file is always created. So I have been unable to reproduce this issue. We have also previously not had any other reports of this file not being created.

Tonya