Help with posting .aspx pages from multiple developers

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

dcaver

Help with posting .aspx pages from multiple developers

Post by dcaver » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:43 am

I’m new to using Source Control and I’m looking for suggestions on how to handle the following scenario.

We have two developers working on ASP.Net applications. We have come to determine that it is best that we have a designated person who gets the latest copy of the files from Vault, builds the project, and then posts the files so that the .dll will be in sync.

Here is the problem we ran into:

Developer 2 has some pages he needs to push to the Staging server. Developer 1 does a Get Latest Version, builds and then posts to the .aspx pages and .dll to the Staging server.

Then Developer 1 has some pages that need to go all the way out to Production. So he builds, pushes to Staging, and push to Production.

Now the changes to the .aspx page that Developer 2 made cause an error because the .dll is looking for the changes Developer 2 had made to the .aspx page. However, the changed .aspx pages are still on the Staging server waiting for approval.

Someone had mentioned to me that VSS use to use labels or something like that to help out in this situation. Supposedly you could do a Get Latest Version with Labels of “Ready for Production” or something similar.

Any suggestions on how we could handle this situation?

Thanks,
David

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:10 pm

Yes, labeling can help. You can use a label to mark a folder/project at a particular version or point in time. When a project is ready for production you can label it. That way, development can proceed, but you can still get all the files at the production-approved version.

For more information, see Vault Client Help->Using Vault->Working with Labels.

If you're making more than just a few changes to a project, you could also use branches.
http://www.ericsink.com/scm/scm_branches.html
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager