Where is the new client

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

rshillington

Where is the new client

Post by rshillington » Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:50 pm

I've installed server side and have upgraded my dev machine. I went into tools/options/source control and changed the "current source control plug-in" to SourceGear Vault Visual Studio 2005 Client.

So all that I see change is that on the file menu where there use to be a Source Contol sub-menu, there is just File / Open From Valut. Which brings up a repository browser window somewhat more helpful than the previous version (which for me was 3.51) but not looking like an Intergrated solution" Certainly things seem to be missing like how do I manage my working folder location / check the status of other files / and well just basically all the things that I would have normally had to do outside of VS using the GUI Client.

Be that as it may, what stresses me now is the option "Open from Vault" doesn't. I browse to the location of the solution that i would like to open (not unlike the 3x experience) except now rather than the entire solution being brought down from the server I get a message saying:
One or more projects in the solution could not be loaded for the following reason(s):
The project file or web has been moved, renamed or is not on your computer.

Which technically i suppose is correct ---the project is not currently on my computer -- was expecting the project to be retrieved from the repository (which is where the .sln file just came from)

I'm feeling rather disconnected according to the BOL
" If no working folder has been set for the folder containing the solution, you will be prompted for the disk location to put the project or solution. If a working folder is already set, the project will be downloaded to that location and opened."
but in fact none of that seems to have happened.

rshillington

Forgot to mention

Post by rshillington » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:14 pm

I forgot to mention that it's not like I haven't found the GUI (which looks like Vault Classic) it's just that I haven't seen the features advertised in the marketing piece (somewhat incorrectly named "white paper")

Developers want everything together in one place. The natural
spot for version control to happen is inside the IDE.

Can you please confirm, that there remain significant user senerios for which the Vault Classic GUI is still required.

I will say, if only with anecdotal evidence, it does seem faster.

Cheers,
Ralph Shillington

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:39 pm

Certainly, there are many situations (branching, etc) where the Vault GUI is the appropriate place to perform those actions. We have not yet put the GUI client inside the IDE, but we've made very strong steps along that path.

The push of the new client is to allow us to do things that the old IDE never could.

The fact that Open From Source control isn't working is much more disconcerting. Give me more information about what's going on. Are you in VSS mode or CVS? Are the projects currently bound to the old IDE client? What kind of projects are there? Are working folders already set for any of the projects?

rshillington

Open From Vault Issue

Post by rshillington » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:02 am

jeremy,

I've recorded a 4 minute demo of the issue that you can view at
http://www.ifoundtime.com/downloads/ope ... tissue.wmv

The long and short of the video is that it demonstrates the following:
1) that picking a solution from the repository browser gets the sln file into the working folder but does not get the projects listed in the solution.
2) I can use the 2003 compatibility client to get the soution and projects but then when I change back to the 2005 client I get a message saying that I shouldn't modify this project because it's under a different control system (or some such message --- watch the video)

Hope that helps sort out the problem --- i'm sure you folks tested the senerio of an upgraded user wanting to work with projects checked in with a different version of vault. It certainly has never been a problem i n the past, although I do understand that this is a fundamentally different client than previous versions (all visual evidence not withstanding)

Cheers,
Ralph Shillington

egli

Post by egli » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:41 pm

The solution needs to be re-bound for use with the 2005 Client. Unfortunately, this process is not automatic and needs to be performed manually. The steps at the following KB article will guide you through the process.

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=7937

Thanks for your patience.

rshillington

Ok, and happy I'm currently a one man band!

Post by rshillington » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:23 am

Thanks for the KB although if I had a large team and large number of solutions / projects this could be a significant issue.

What are the odds of a migration tool coming out sometime in the future? A tall order no doubt but I'm just going out on a limb here and suggest that this issue will be a significant barrier to adoption.

Thanks again,
Ralph Shillington

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:28 am

I agree that we need to do more to make this painless. Thanks for your patience.