SourceOffsite 4.1.2 stops working after a while.

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

johandm

SourceOffsite 4.1.2 stops working after a while.

Post by johandm » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:11 am

Hi,

Since recently, I found that SourceOffsite 4.1.2 no longer connects after my machine has been on for a few days.

When it happens, it shows "Connecting to [myservername]:8888..." and sits like that forever. (There is no "unable to connect to server" dialog)
I can still select "exit" from the menu, but that is about it.

The only way to clear this is to reboot the machine. After the reboot it will work fine again (for a couple of days)

When it happens, other machines in the same LAN can connect with SourceOffsite fine (same version)

When it happens, the problem machine can reach the server machine fine (I can ping it and I can broswe its files)

This problem is fairly recent (I think it started happening a few months back) but I cannot see what would have changed to cause this behavior.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Johan.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:27 am

This could be client-side or server side.

What version of the VSS automation component is the SOS server using? Here's how to find out:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=1510

Also, the next time you have a problem logging in, send me the SOS server log that covers the time of the login attempt. It's called log.txt and is in the SOS Server directory on the server machine. Email it to support at sourcegear.com, attn: Linda.

Since this appears to be specific to your machine, is there anything network-wise going on? Could something be blocking the port you're connecting on or otherwise interfering with the connection?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

johandm

Post by johandm » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:51 am

Dear Linda,

Thanks for your message.

The VSS automation component on the SOS server is version: 06.00.8169

This happened earlier today so I was able to opened the log.txt on the server directory. I can see that for the attempts I made before restarting my machine, the log shows no evidence of the attempts reaching the server. I will email you this log seperately.

I agree it sounds like something network-wise has changed. But I would not know what. At first I suspected it was a VPN issue, but all other network related tasks (Including VPN) still work as expected when SourceOffsite is experiencing troubles.

Kind regards,
Johan.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:17 am

There were no obvious issues in the log. As you pointed out, the SOS Server doesn't even see the connection.

You said that other SOS users don't have the same problem. Is your network connection different from theirs in any way?

It's possible there's a conflict with the port used for SOS. You can use the Netstat -a command from a command line to see all the connections and ports used by your machine.

Run this command when things are working fine, then run it again when you can't connect, and see what the difference might be.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:10 pm

Some other thoughts:

What operating system is your SOS client installed on? We've had reports of connectivity issues with SOS on Vista.
The VSS automation component on the SOS server is version: 06.00.8169
This is an old version of VSS, and we've had reports of problems with this -- automation component crashes, for instance. I'm not sure if this is the problem here, but you could try the Microsoft Hotfix version instead.
The hotfix is available at

http://download.sourcegear.com/files/vss_60c_hotfix.zip
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

johandm

Post by johandm » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:45 pm

Dear Linda,

Thanks for this information.

The OS of the client is Windows XP SP2, it is kept up to date with the latest security patches.

I will ask our IT department to install the MS Hotfix on the server machine.

Kind regards,
Johan.