Setup created DB with extra backslash in filename

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Mike Dimmick

Setup created DB with extra backslash in filename

Post by Mike Dimmick » Mon May 12, 2008 3:37 am

We recently upgraded from Vault 3.1.9 to 4.1.1 and in doing so, Setup created a new sgmaster database. It created this database with doubled backslashes before the filename, so the entries in sysfiles read:

D:\SqlData2000\MSSQL\Data\\sgmaster.mdf
E:\SqlLogs2000\\sgmaster_log.LDF

Backup Exec 11d (Build 7170 SP2) with the Advanced Open File Option on and set to use Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy then wouldn't back up the sgmaster database, complaining about the extra backslashes. It seems to be Volume Shadow Copy Services that issued the initial error. The full error text:

"Snapshot provider error (0xE0000353): The path for this database is invalid because it contains extra backslash characters. You must remove the extra backslash characters before the database can be backed up."

I have resolved the issue by detaching and re-attaching the database. This has corrected the entries in sysfiles.

I have no idea why it matters, since the Windows file APIs are generally fine with extra backslashes in a path, but I thought I'd post this in case anyone else had the same problem. Setup should check that there isn't a trailing backslash on the path before appending one of its own (or use the PathCombine API).

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon May 12, 2008 8:02 am

Thanks for the report. I don't think we've heard about this from other users, but I will log it as a bug and see if we can reproduce it.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon May 12, 2008 8:06 am

Thanks for the report. I don't think we've heard about this from other users, but I will log it as a bug and see if we can reproduce it.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

Phaedra

Re: Setup created DB with extra backslash in filename

Post by Phaedra » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:15 pm

This also occurred to us. We installed Vault for the first time last week. The SQL Server is a different machine than the server.

The install was trouble-free except for the following (which I doubt caused the error):

When it tried to open the browser (as part of install) it got "Server Error in /VaultService' Aplication. Could not load type VaultService.Global." Turns out it was referring to 1.x version of .Net Framework and when I updated the VaultService and VaultShadow websites to reference 2.x framework, it was fine.

Let me know if I can provide any other information to help track this down.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:40 pm

What version of SQL Server are you using?

Are you using Windows Auth or SQL Server Auth for the SQL Server setup portion of the installation?

It might help to see your installation logs. The log is vault_install.log and is in the %temp% directory of the user who installed Vault.

Send them to support at sourcegear.com, Attn: Linda. Be sure to provide a link to this forum post.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:09 pm

Got the installation log, thanks. We have a bug logged for this and I will add your information so that QA can take a closer look.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear