item tracking with VS2008

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

sryan@seewolf.com

item tracking with VS2008

Post by sryan@seewolf.com » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:53 am

i just downloaded the trial version of Fortress and am having difficulty getting the item tracking to show up in VS2008 - how do i see it in the IDE?
also, when i loaded my project into Fortress it came up with a window that says your project may not be available to all users - do you want to continue..
project has items on my local drive under my documents\vs2008\project\solutionname\subprojects and under wwwroot\solutionname

thanks

Beth

Re: item tracking with VS2008

Post by Beth » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:15 am

Which client do you have set under VS Tools - Options - Source Control? If you are using the Enhanced Client, then all you need to do is go to View - Fortress - Fortress Work Item Tracking. If you are using the Classic Client, then that feature isn't available. If you want to switch between clients, there is a process, so let me know if that's the route you want.
your project may not be available to all users
You will want to check out our Visual Studio Enhanced IDE Client FAQ, especially the article "Other users may have trouble opening this solution from the repository." That provides details on your layout. You will need the solution file to be at the very top of the hierarchy.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

sryan@seewolf.com

Post by sryan@seewolf.com » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:19 am

i'm using the enhanced client - when i go to View--Fortress-Fortress Work item tracking, i just get a blank screen that pops up

thanks - i'll check out the faq and see if i'm still confused on the other item

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:14 am

Does it look a bit like this pic I'm posting?

Are you able to connect to Fortress through a web browser? If you're not sure, in a browser try http://<your Fortress server connection>/Fortress/.

When you tried to open the Fortress window in Visual Studio, did you get a connection dialog to Fortress?
Attachments
blank Fortress window.JPG
blank Fortress window.JPG (38.56 KiB) Viewed 7779 times
Beth Kieler

sryan@seewolf.com

Post by sryan@seewolf.com » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:44 am

i can connect to the web interface - but am confused on what i'm looking at it doesn't say - Add Bug anywhere -
when i go to fortress--> fortress web tracking i see the square with the red dot and then i click on it - and it give me a blank pop-up window with the title of Fortress

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:16 am

It sounds like there might no projects created yet or else your admin has not provided you with access to any projects. Can your Fortress admin verify that either projects were created in the Fortress admin web page or that you were given access?
Beth Kieler

sryan@seewolf.com

Post by sryan@seewolf.com » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:38 am

also - i read the help on the folder issues... why doesn't sourcegear support the standard mydocuments\vs2008\projects which are the default location in Vs? and its typical to put the web files in inetpub
that way the development mirrors production...

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:55 pm

The next Q&A down from the one I posted is more specific to websites: Adding Website to Vault or Fortress .

My last link posted in my previous message has a section on why. It starts with:
Why is this a problem? Let's say you added this second example to Vault, ignoring the warning. The next day your colleague wants to work on this new project, and does an Open From Vault. When prompted, he chooses to put the solution in a disk path that makes sense on his machine:
It's a little lengthy to re-post here entirely, but check it out.

My first link also says:
If, by some kind of policy or procedure external to Vault, every member of your team has exactly the same disk structure, you can work this way.
Beth Kieler