what is a shelveset?

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

silverstring

what is a shelveset?

Post by silverstring » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:24 am

Hi,

I'm not a developer, but I have a small team of developers working for me.

We have just finished a project and I want to somehow "freeze" the code in Vault Pro. I want to do this so in the future we can quickly find all the files relevant to this project - on the "freeze" date.

We've never done something like this before and we have been using vault pro for many years.

I am struggling communicating what I want to my developers - and they are saying they will put a label on all the project files today. Is this sufficient? Or would a shelveset or something like that be more appropriate?

Rgds
Richard

ajj3085

Re: what is a shelveset?

Post by ajj3085 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:49 pm

A label will do what you want. A shelveset is meant to be temporary such as when a dev wants to share his changes say for code review or just to send changes to the server in case his hard drive overnight.

A branch would also do what you want, it creates a separate copy of the code at a point in time. The nice thing about a branch is that if you find a bug you can fix it in the branch and release from the branch so you only include the bug fix, while new features are added to trunk. You could label now and wait to create the branch from the label for when you do just need to do a bug fix release.

Heres a blog post that covers more http://www.ericsink.com/scm/scm_branches.html
Also you should Google for branch strategies.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3497 ... strategies

lbauer

Re: what is a shelveset?

Post by lbauer » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:59 am

Thanks for your comments, ajj3085. Right on!
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager