Feature Request - Item Tracking ID

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Ocean10000

Feature Request - Item Tracking ID

Post by Ocean10000 » Mon May 05, 2008 10:53 am

Is it possible to include the Item Tracking ID in a way that can be copied out easily, when in the edit view for the Item?

I know it is displayed in the tab title, but at least in my current setup my Names for each Tracking Group is too long, and causes the Tracking ID not to be displayed.

I have gotten into a habit of putting into the comment blocks the tracking ID, and date and time of the change for future references, and a short description. So having to hunt down this ID slows me down, when doing updates.

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Mon May 05, 2008 1:39 pm

Can you give me a few more details? Are you using the GUI client or the web client?

Also, I'd like to point out that with Fortress, you don't need to add comments above code changes. You can use line history to easily find out why the change was made. See this video for more information:

http://www.sourcegear.com/fortress/vide ... html#media
Subscribe to the Fortress/Vault blog

Ocean10000

Post by Ocean10000 » Mon May 05, 2008 3:01 pm

I am using the Gui Client.

I know I don't need to take notes this way. But since I am usually putting in a description for a block of code and what its purpose is, it doesn't hurt me to put in the Issue Id, in there as well. So it is a habit now, to include the Issue Id in with the comment blocks, to find more information why the system was coded the way it was.

When I was using the web client I would just copy the url and paste it in easy. I am trying to make an effort to switch over to using the GUI 100% of the time. So I am dealing with some minor issues, that slow down my current development style.

I will shoot you an email with a screen shot to give you some idea what my screen looks like in the Gui. Which might help you understand more.

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Mon May 05, 2008 3:04 pm

I think I understand your request well enough now. We'll add a copiable itemID to the GUI client in an upcoming release (but not 1.1.2, since that's nearing completion). Thanks for the suggestion, and keep the ideas coming!
Subscribe to the Fortress/Vault blog