Upgrade install error: The server could not establish a conn

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
ajohnson

Upgrade install error: The server could not establish a conn

Post by ajohnson » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:40 am

I have just done an upgrade from Fortress 1.1 to Vault Pro 5.1.2.19283. The upgrade appeared to go okay, but when I try to log in to the Vault web interface (after the installer completes) I get the error:
Login Failed: The server could not establish a connection to the database. Please check the server's log for detailed information. (FailDBConn)
The server is Windows 2003 Server with IIS6 and a local installation of Sql Server 2005 SP3. During installation I selected the NETWORK SERVICE IIS user, and SQL Authentication using the sa user. The installer detected our "Fortress" web site (on port 82) and I selected it.

I have checked C:\WINDOWS\Temp\sgvault\sgvault.log but the last entry is before I started the upgrade.

I tried uninstalling Vault Pro, deleting the sgvaultuser user from each of the three databases, then deleted the sgvaultuser ulogin from the database server. I then reinstalled, but had the same problem

Any help would be much appreciated.

Andrew johnson

Beth

Re: Upgrade install error: The server could not establish a

Post by Beth » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:42 am

Take a look in your IIS Manager. Do you still have a Fortress folder there? If so, delete Fortress. Then try logging into the web client again. Any change?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

ajohnson

Post by ajohnson » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:55 am

Hi Beth,

Thanks for your suggestion. There was a Fortress entry in IIS, but when I deleted it it didn't solve the problem. However it did give me a hint that ultimately helped me to resolve it.

The problem seemed to be caused by our use of a separate Fortress web site running on port 82. This was where our previous Fortress installation lived and I was trying to install the upgrade into it. The home directory for this site was C:\inetpub\Fortress. I noticed that when I installed the upgrade the IIS applications (VaultService, etc) were being placed under the Fortress web site, but the corresponding directories were placed in C:\inetpub\wwwroot (the home dir for the default web site on port 80) rather than C:\inetpub\Fortress.

So I uninstalled Vault Pro again, deleted the Fortress web site, and re-installed Vault Pro in the default web site. I was then able to log-on to the web interface to enter serial numbers, etc. I've installed the client and that seems to be working too.

I suspect that the cause of the problem was that the home directory of the custom site was not C:\inetpub\wwwroot, but I don't have time to prove this. Using the default site for vault Pro isn't a problem. The original reason for using a custom web site on a different port no longer applies.

Again, thanks for your help,

Andrew

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:40 am

Thanks for the update.

For others that may run into this situation, choose the Custom button instead of Typical and you will be given a place to change the path where Vault will be installed.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support