Open from source control deletes existing solutions

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

stevefish

Open from source control deletes existing solutions

Post by stevefish » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:12 am

I'm having a problem where Vault deletes existing solution files (*.sln) when I open another solution from my Vault repository. I think this is caused by my folder structure. Can you please confirm?

I'm using Vault to store my Visual Studio.NET solutions. I have the following structure in my Vault repository:

$/App1.sln
$/App2.sln
$/App3.sln

$/Project1
$/Project2
$/Project3
$/Project4

Note that the sln files are all in the root ($). App1, App2, and App3 share some of the projects -- the solutions have some of the same projects added to the solution structure in Visual Studio, ie, App1 uses Project1 and Project2, App2 uses Project1 and Project4, etc.

Say I currently have a working copy for App1 on my local machine. Now I want to open App2. Within Visual Studio, I open from source control and select $. Vault prompts me with a warning that says:
The local folder you chose to store your solution contains one or more solution files that have the same name as those in the source control server folder.
The buttons are Overwrite, Cancel, and Help. So my only option to continue is to choose Overwrite.

The problem is that at this point Vault deletes App1.sln. My current solution structure requires that I keep all the sln files in the same working folder.

Why does Vault delete existing files when I open another solution from Vault? This is not good. Is there a setting I can change to prevent this? Or do I have to re-structure my Visual Studio working directories and also the Vault structure to have only one sln file per folder?

Thanks

dan

Post by dan » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:56 am

See http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic ... 3324#13324 for a continuation of this thread.