"1004: FailDBReader" in Vault Admin 3.1

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Ryan McCauley

"1004: FailDBReader" in Vault Admin 3.1

Post by Ryan McCauley » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:28 am

I received this error after moving my repository from one server to another, and I must have missed a step. The reason I'm posting it is because it causes the application to fail after it's loaded, so I just wanted to put it out there. I thought I'd gotten all the permissions correct, but I'll have to give it another run through to make sure.

Anyway, I had an existing Vault server on one computer, and I wanted to move the service and the database to another computer. I installed Vault Server on the new computer, and then detached the "new" database, and reattached the database I wanted to import (which contains all of my source). After a little permission tweaking to get the two databases matched up, I could load the admin tool just fine on the new database.

The problem comes when I try to access the "Repository Options" tab. I can see the tab, but once I select it, and then I select my repository from the pull down menu, I get an error box with the message "1104: FailDBReader". After clicking okay, I get a .NET exception box, though clicking "Continue" will allow the application to continue like normal.

I've included the Stack from the .NET exception box below - please let me know if there is anything that I can provide that might help hunt this down.

NOTE: I'm using Vault 3.1, though my original repository was from a 3.0.7 server. I assumed I could just move it, but that may have been a bad assumtion, and might be contributing to (or causing) my problem. I'll look into it a little more.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at VaultAdmin.FormMain.CheckRepOptEnabled()
at VaultAdmin.FormMain.CommandDisplayRepOptions()
at VaultAdmin.FormMain.comboBoxOptRepository_SelectedIndexChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.OnSelectedIndexChanged(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.WmReflectCommand(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

rwmnau

More information

Post by rwmnau » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:32 am

Here is some more information about my configuration:

Windows Server 2000, SP4
SQL Server 2000, SP3
.NET Framework v1.1

SQL and IIS are on the same computer, and the server is pretty powerful, so I don't think that resources are factoring into this problem. I could edit the repository just fine on the new "Vault Server" installation before I tried attaching the other repository, so I think that everything is configured properly.

rwmnau

I feel dumb now

Post by rwmnau » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:55 am

Wow - RTFM.

I had tried to attach a 3.0.7 database to a Vault 3.1 server, and that's what choked it. Upgrading the database to 3.1 on my old server, and then detaching/attaching on the new server worked perfectly.

MORAL: Read all the instructions, not just the first 3 lines before assuming "This can't be that hard".

rwholmes

How to upgrade the database

Post by rwholmes » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:37 pm

How do you go about upgrading the database from 3.07 to 3.1? I searched the documentation and did not find anything on how to do so. Any ideas?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:21 pm

Generally, you just run the installer for the new version over the older version of Vault. The 3.1.1 installer will upgrade the database from any earlier version of Vault (except 1.0).

If you are moving Vault and/or the database, the procedure would be first to restore/attach the database to the new SQL Server instance, then run the Vault 3.1.1 installer, pointing it at the new database location. The installer will upgrade the database.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager