Adding multiple files fails in both VSS Import and IDE

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

onovotny

Adding multiple files fails in both VSS Import and IDE

Post by onovotny » Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:26 pm

I am using 2.0.1 with VS 2003. I am trying to move the project from either VSS or even just starting from scratch and using VS to add a solution to source control

In either case, the folder structure is created in Vault, but no files are ever uploaded. Both tools appear to hang as they're trying to add a file.

If I go into the Client interface, I can add the same files just fine.

Once I do, I can then open the solution from source control and check out a file. But, then, when I hit check-in, the IDE appears to freeze again.

What can I do to get this working correctly in VS.Net? VSS Import would be a plus, but is not necessary.

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:41 pm

Since VSS import is your preferred way of having this work, we'll start with that. Does the import log say anything? It's located in C:\Program Files\SourceGear\SourceSafe Import Tool by default.

Also, one possibliity is to use the VSS explorer to fetch the files, and then use the Vault GUI client to add that folder (by clicking on that folder in the add files dialog and hitting the Add button.

onovotny

Post by onovotny » Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:35 pm

I started from a clean Vault repository and tried again with the same results; folders were created but files were not.

Here's the contents of the import log:

Opening: C:\SSafeDB\srcsafe.ini
User: admin
VSS database open: True
Connected to Vault.
Logged out of the Vault Server.
There are 209 files and projects selected for import.
Refreshing SourceSafe connection...
Opening: C:\SSafeDB\srcsafe.ini
User: admin
VSS database open: True
Connected to Vault.

Beginning Export. 19-Mar-04 5:30:43 PM
Begin Export....

Memory used: 51163136.
Created ($/Aimutation) at 18-Mar-04 11:25:54 PM
Change set type: CreateFolder
Adding to transaction: $/Aimutation - $/Aimutation
Transaction succeeded.
Created ($/Aimutation/Core) at 18-Mar-04 11:25:56 PM
Adding to transaction: $/Aimutation/Core - $/Aimutation/Core
Transaction succeeded.
Created ($/Aimutation/Mutation) at 18-Mar-04 11:25:56 PM
Adding to transaction: $/Aimutation/Mutation - $/Aimutation/Mutation
Transaction succeeded.
Created ($/Aimutation/Mutation/Plugins) at 18-Mar-04 11:26:08 PM
Adding to transaction: $/Aimutation/Mutation/Plugins - $/Aimutation/Mutation/Plugins
Transaction succeeded.
Created ($/Aimutation/Skin) at 19-Mar-04 8:59:30 AM
Adding to transaction: $/Aimutation/Skin - $/Aimutation/Skin
Transaction succeeded.
Created ($/Aimutation/Skin/get6) at 19-Mar-04 8:59:30 AM
Adding to transaction: $/Aimutation/Skin/get6 - $/Aimutation/Skin/get6
Transaction succeeded.
Created ($/Aimutation/Skin/Get8) at 19-Mar-04 8:59:38 AM
Adding to transaction: $/Aimutation/Skin/Get8 - $/Aimutation/Skin/Get8
Transaction succeeded.
Created ($/Aimutation/Skin/Mutation) at 19-Mar-04 8:59:44 AM
Adding to transaction: $/Aimutation/Skin/Mutation - $/Aimutation/Skin/Mutation
Transaction succeeded.
Created ($/Aimutation/Aimutation.sln) at 18-Mar-04 11:25:56 PM
Change set type: AddFile
Adding to transaction: $/Aimutation/Aimutation.sln - E:\DOCUME~1\osn\LOCALS~1\Temp\tmp888.tmp
VSS Database closed.

That's as far as it gets before it just sits there. Cancel gets out of it, but without the files.

Honestly though, I'd be happy if I could add the solution in from the VS IDE; I have a feeling it's the exact same issue, since it also hangs as it tries to add the first file.

How can I help you troubleshoot this bug?

Thanks!
--Oren

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:42 pm

Usually when people have problems adding files, it ends up being related to proxy settings. I've never seen it hang like this, but you could take a look at: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=78

Also, let me verify that you can add that solution file to Vault using the Vault Gui client. Have you tried the recursive get from VSS/Recursive add to Vault method I talked about before?

onovotny

Post by onovotny » Fri Mar 19, 2004 5:19 pm

Okay, I've confirmed, it's the proxy that's the problem. When I disable the proxy in IE's settings, VSS Import works just fine, as does the GUI client. If the proxy is enabled, then neither works.

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=103

When I added/changed the lines though in the following files:

vault.exe.config
vaultguiclient.exe.config
vaultadmin.exe.config

It doesn't seem to work. The proxy's message log shows the vault activity, which means that it's going through it and not direct despite the

Code: Select all

<proxy usesystemdefault="false" />
being set.

The client also appears to be ignoring the settings in the registry for the chunking. Despite setting the value to True, take a look at the headers for the first file upload:

POST /vaultservice/VaultFileUpload.aspx?TxToken=19e2e2c4-2e75-4068-bb20-a0339d4f9dac&FileToken=a6a9b593-b7f1-4f91-8b33-50979f6428ff HTTP/1.1
Cookie: ASP.NET_SessionId=cqgbium4lozrbl55jcl4d2il; _authHdr=46bab433-f911-44dc-9ee3-df7dde517fcbCUvLb7Svuy+8YZKxbkh+nQ==
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
Expect: 100-continue
Host: novotny.org
Connection: keep-alive

That's highly annoying...

Any other suggestions on how to bypass the proxy? I'd hate to have to disable it since it's my ad-filtering one...

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:24 pm

did you make sure to restart your client after changing the registry setting?

onovotny

Post by onovotny » Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:33 pm

I did...but that wasn't it. Things have suddenly started working again, so I'll just cross my fingers and hope it stays that way :)

It appears to still be going through my proxy, but I was able to set a rule on it to bypass everything it has for the host of the vault server. I'm not sure why though the runtime is ignoring the setting in the config file; it's clearly using the setting in Internet Options.

Thanks for your all your help!

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:13 am

Another thing to try is to use the VaultGuiClient.exe.config to set the proxy to a bogus URL and port. When windows can't connect to the proxy, it should try to connect without the proxy. We're planning on making HTTP settings much more accessible soon.

palehorse

Post by palehorse » Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:23 am

I'm having the same problem described above. The log file talks about the HTTP1.0 protocol not supporting chunking. I have tried chaning the registry setting mentioned, I've tried making changes to the vaultguiclient.exe.config. I've removed the proxy setting from my IE client, which I do not need to get to the vault sever. I've tried just about every combination of these settings that I can think of but I still get the error.

Is there anything else that can be tried?

Thanks in advance,
-Joel

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:47 am

For the simplest check first, you are restarting the client after you make all of these changes, right? I'm guessing so, but it never hurts to ask. Second, have you tried setting the proxy in VaultGuiClient.exe.config to a bogus proxy address and port as described above? It's also possible that something other than your proxy is rejecting the HTTP 1.1 encoding. The registry setting should work to disable the HTTP 1.1 features. It's my hope that dealing with these problems will be much easier in the next version.