MD5 check for remote checkin?

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Jared Sullivan

MD5 check for remote checkin?

Post by Jared Sullivan » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:48 pm

Hi,

I think I am experiencing few curruptions amongst various files. I dont know if SOS does a MD5 check when checking in remoteley or if it is responisble for the problems I am having.

I know Microsoft VSS is reknowned for these type of problems, but is there anything I can do to maximize integrity of my data accroos internet.

Thanks
Jared

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:19 pm

SOS doesn't take care of a check. TCP/IP is supposed to check for the end result being what was transferred.

There have been reports of file corruptions when they come through some routers such as a Linksys or AT&T Cable Modem.

One way to get a better idea of what's going on is for a client to be loaded local to the SOS server or right on the SOS server. If the file is corrupt there, then the VSS database needs to be checked. If the file is fine, then there's something in the network preventing the file from getting to you properly.

Are you getting the file at all, or are you getting an error?

Jared Sullivan

File Truncation

Post by Jared Sullivan » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:34 pm

Thanks for your response. What you said about TCP/IP performing check makes sense. I am finding some files(.vb, .resx, .rpt) to be currupt. In most cases files get chopped in half, semi deleted.

The problem is though, this problem occurs sometime remotley but mostly on the local server and can be really hard to tell who the problem lies with.

The action I am taking now is to re-install VS2005+SP1+SP1 for Vista, since I was messing around with components of installation ofter applying service pack. In addition I will be using SOS client on server just to help get rid of this problem right now, cause I dont need it or need wasting time trying to pin point cause.

Thanks again,
If you come across file being truncated, please keep me informed.
Jared Sullivan

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:19 pm

Ok, I didn't realize Vista was involved here. Is that what the SOS server is on also or just the clients?

Jared Sullivan

Post by Jared Sullivan » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:06 pm

Oh yeah, server is on vista and its going to be formatted with XP in matter of hours.

Can not and will not have my soure code being programatically deleted. And goes for resx files as well.

Jared Sullivan

Post by Jared Sullivan » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:07 pm

Maybe Microsft will fix in Final VS2005 SP1, since only beta is availible. Surely a problem this HUGE has to be raised by one of their partners.

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:23 pm

It doesn't look to me like we really got to the root of the problem. I would suggest trying things in steps and when an issue crops up, stop at that point.

Is VSS on that same Vista server? If so, check how the files are with a VSS client. Run an analyze on the database and see if errors are there. If so, use the -f switch with the command line running of analyze to fix it.

If VSS isn't on that server, what is it on?

Jared Sullivan

Post by Jared Sullivan » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:23 pm

OK, I know what is going on, but it makes no sense to me.

[SERVER]
-Vista
-VSS SP1/SP1 Beta for Vista
-SOS Server.

[CLIENT]
-XP

Problem specifically lies with Vista getting new stuff from VSS. This maybe from SOS Explorer or SOS VS Plugin or VSS Explorer or VSS Plugin for VS.

Basically it takes it upon itself to insert a EOF character in a random position destroying years of work.

I dont know if this means anything to you, but I am now bitten by Vista and am forced to downgrade my OS.

Should be noted that I have disabled STORE_DELTAS in ss.ini and SP1 for Vista is still in beta.

For now I will cease all develpoment on Vista platform.

Thank you for your help with this invisible nightmare.
Jared Sullivan

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:20 pm

As we test, we'll keep in mind what you ran into. Thanks for the information.